a yellow peach tries milk paint

I have not blogged in so. freaking. long. I am ashamed. I am sorry. Recap: new job is great, new house is perfect, I saw Beyonce, boiled peanuts are back in season, the weather is amazing, and Finn is still a batshit crazy cat. Pretty much sums it up. Anyway...

I finally tried something I have always wanted to try but been too nervous: Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. Milk paint has the ability to distress certain parts of the furniture on its own, which as a control freak is slightly overwhelming. Let's start by talking about exactly how long ago I first bought milk paint.

Thanks Instagram. 92 WEEKS AGO. That is going on two years. Almost two years I have had this paint. Ok I did try it out once on a small ladder, but the wood was so porous that it didn't distress in any way. 

So I got this table from my mama. It's pretty as it is, and in nice shape. But I had to get my hands on it. 

I've really been wanting to do a piece with a sanded top and painted body. I've done one before, but not just with a raw wood top.

Let me tell you, some pieces are a real pain in the butt to sand. Especially if they are really old, previously painted, or have water damage. This bad boy was easy peasy, and plus using tools is always pretty fun.

Mix 1/4 cup milk paint with 1/4 cup water and stir until it's a fairly thick consistency, but not too thick. You also don't want it too watery. Somewhere right in the middle. It slides on to the wood really nicely, not as thick as chalk paint.

I applied two coats, waiting about 4 hours in between. I was literally just staring at it for a while thinking, "are you going to distress? ARE YOU??"

The answer is yes. I noticed after the second coat was dry that pieces of paint were bubbling up. Once I went over it with sandpaper it just came right off. I LOVE this look. 

After I sanded, I did two coats of Miss Mustard Seed's hemp oil (waiting 3 hours in between). Warning: when you seal with hemp oil it looks very very greasy, almost a little scary at first. But once it has set in for a few hours and you buff with a rag it looks really beautiful. 

For the top, I used another product I have been DYING to use. When I was in England, Liddy (who I worked with the first couple days at the shop) finished her raw wood pieces with this and I've been wanting to try it out ever since. It really is a dead flat finish, it doesn't even look very different after but you know that the wood is protected. I put on two coats and let it dry. Seriously, it's awesome. Buy it here.

Eh Voila!

I think I'll be doing more pieces like this, I love the contrast.

Home sweet home, table :)